Saturday, February 09, 2008

Tokyo Exchange goes Boom! Is there a link to the LSE? Could be...

This article caught my eye when Google Readering yesterday.

http://www.finextra.com/fullstory.asp?id=18058


Back in November,I noted that the LSE went Boom! and that this won't be the last time it falls over. It seems a coincidence that the Tokyo Stock Exchange is suffering performance problems and system crashes like it's technology partner the LSE. The pair "are developing jointly traded products and share technology" - oh really? that's a good idea? Same security vulnerabilities, same performance problems, same mysterious crashes then...

Word on the street also about other products based on dot net having serious, unsolvable bugs: mysterious freezes, runaway memory growth, threading issues and performance headaches, just like I experienced when building my last algo trading platform.

Mind you, this is nothing specific against dot net. I remember when I first worked in the city in 1996 doing C++ and using Roguewave libraries - what a disaster that was. Well I did promise to tell you about the eek bug back in the Haskell post so here goes: I was at my first investment bank - sigh - the good old days. One of the developers had a bug that he couldn't solve after a week - we tried everything - every debugger known - they all pointed to threading problems in the Roguewave libraries but the manufacturer was responding slowly. One day, the programmer put the string "eeek" as a printf debug. Miraculously, the bug disappeared. We tested other strings - non worked - only the eeek string did the trick.

That hardened my heart against third party libraries developed by private companies - when the bugs hit - you often have nowhere to turn. My guess is there's an eeek bug or two in the dot net stuff. If it were open source, perhaps there would be a hope of fixing it...






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can confirm your suspicion. There are indeed occasional 'eeek' bugs in .Net. I remember tracking down an ASP.Net library function call that was just a variation on Collection.Add("myContent"). In testing, "myContent" seemed to just disappear. After carefully going over "myContent" with a fine toothed comb, I finally checked Microsoft's Knowledge base website. Sure enough, there was an open bug: the .Net library function call had no code in it at all. Eeek.

Don't mistake this anecdote as evidence that I dislike .Net. Like a luxury 18 wheeler, .Net rides more smoothly than a casual onlooker would guess.

James Justin Harrell said...

That hardened my heart against third party libraries developed by private companies

Private companies are capable developing open source libraries. (For example, Qt from Trolltech.) The problem here is closed source software, not commercial software.

Anonymous said...

There is an open source .NET: www.mono-project.com. Solves the licensing issues of vendor-lock in as well, and if you want support, I believe Novell will sell you some, but usually the community will do well enough. It is mature now, but will be more so in a year or so.